Monday, June 4, 2012

Downy Woodpecker Sighting by a Real Boy


This little guy was spotted recently on a wooden limb. Sorry if you birders were expecting to see the real thing.


The birder who spotted him is my little wooden friend Pinocchio, seen here. Hey, buddy, turn around so we can get a better look at that woodpecker (oh boy, I hope my dirty-old-man brother-in-law doesn't read that sentence)!


That's better! Hey be careful, you don't want him to fly away!


Well, that is a really cool bird, Pinocchio. He looks especially interested in that long nose of yours. By the way, isn't your nose shorter than the last time we met?


You should probably keep him at arms length (or nose length), and away from your face! What? Did you say the blue fairy sent him to trim your nose back to normal length? And you're going to let him do that? Uh, that sounds painful...

Pinocchio stands almost 9-1/4" tall. He is made from paper mache clay, wood clay (appropriately), and his arms are stuffed fabric. All have been painted to resemble wood. He sports a white cotton collar with a handsome checked ribbon bow tie. His little bird companion is made from wood clay and is about an inch long.

Pinocchio was a lot of fun to make, but now it's time to get back to my REAL "job" -- creating Santas.

I hope you've enjoyed your visit today. Thanks for dropping by and leaving a comment!

Maggie



11 comments:

Flora said...

WOW!!!!Maggie this is wonderful!!!
Blessings,Flora

The Bear's Blog said...

What a work of art. Wonderful.

Hugs

maddyrose said...

Maggie, this post is a hoot!! I loved your introduction for Pinocchio. This little guy is wonderful with so many fun things going on from the woodpecker on his arm to the checked bow tie. He looks exactly how I picture Pinocchio looking. You did a great job on this piece.

Magic Love Crow said...

Maggie, you made me laugh big time!!! Well, I am glad he turned around, so we got to see his woodpecker! LOL! Pinocchio and his little friend are adorable! I love them both ;o Hugs ;o)

Lee Pierce said...

How precious! Pinocchio is perfect, nice of you to give him a friend?!
and a woodpecker too ;O

Hill Top Post said...

You are so talented...Pinocchio and the woodpecker are such great fun...but so are you Santas!

Cobblestone Creations said...

Oh Maggie! I just love him to bits! And that hair is a hoot ~ just perfect!! :D

Marlene said...

I finally stopped laughing long enough to comment. My dirty old man husband had quite a few comments but I won't put them here. Pinocchio is adorable and he looks like he is really made of wood, although I know he isn't. Good job sis, hope you get published again with this one.

Lisa said...

my gosh, it's been a month since I've been by? I love this Pinocchio, and just yesterday I was humming the song from the Disney movie of him.

You have a great 4th!!!

xoxoxo

Anonymous said...

Oh Maggie, this little Pinocchio is incredible! I love the detail you have given him. You are such a talented lady. Have a beautiful week, sweetie!

IrelandBrady said...

Maggie, your Pinocchio is wonderful! I love him and the Egg Man, as your sister (Maddy) says ... you are quite the accomplished and gifted artist!

Happy Day!